Inquest, East

Inquest hears boy, 5, died after fall from 15th-floor flat window

Published on 08/17/2026 at 22:27 | Redaktion boerse-global.de

A five-year-old boy died after falling from a 15th-floor apartment window in East London, with his mother telling an inquest that council officials ignored repeated warnings about faulty safety…

A five-year-old boy died after falling from a 15th-floor apartment window in East London, with his mother telling an inquest that council officials ignored repeated warnings about faulty safety…
Inquest hears boy, 5, died after fall from 15th-floor flat window Illustration mit AI erstellt übermittelt durch boerse-global.de

A five-year-old boy died after falling from a 15th-floor apartment window in East London, with his mother telling an inquest that council officials ignored repeated warnings about faulty safety equipment.

Aalim Ahmed died instantly on May 16, 2024, after falling from a kitchen window at Jacobs House, a residential tower block in Plaistow. His mother, Sahra Osman, told Walthamstow Coroner's Court that she had contacted Newham Council on multiple occasions to report problems with the window restrictors in her home.

These devices are designed to stop windows from opening fully and are a standard safety feature in high-rise homes, particularly where young children are present. Osman said the mechanisms were not working correctly and that the council had been made aware of her son's specific needs, noting that Aalim had an autism diagnosis and no sense of danger.

Safety concerns 'ignored'

Osman told the court that Aalim was reaching for a biscuit from a cupboard near the window when the fall occurred. She said she believed the tragedy was preventable and attributed her son's death to the council's failure to carry out necessary repairs.

The inquest heard that Aalim's death is being examined as part of a wider review of building safety and maintenance practices across the borough's housing stock. Investigators are looking at whether the council's response to maintenance requests met required safety standards for high-rise residential buildings.

Newham Council has declined to comment while legal proceedings are active. A spokesperson said the local authority would wait until the inquest concludes before making a formal statement.

Advertisement

Tragedies like this one underline how critical it is to identify and document hazards before they claim lives. For employers, failing to keep proper risk assessments can leave dangerous gaps in workplace safety. A free toolkit with 41 ready-to-use templates and checklists helps you document risks properly and stay compliant. Download the free Risk Assessment Toolkit

High-rise safety under scrutiny

The case comes amid wider attention on building safety in the UK. In separate legal actions, authorities recently filed charges relating to a building collapse in Saidulajab in late May, citing illegal structural additions and unauthorised excavations as primary factors.

Fire services in Bristol also responded to a blaze at Spencer House, an 11-storey residential block in Redcliffe. That incident caused no injuries but has prompted further discussion about the management of high-rise safety systems.

Advertisement

Fire safety is another area where thorough preparation makes all the difference. With high-rise incidents drawing scrutiny, having a clear evacuation plan and fire risk assessment isn't just good practice — it's a legal duty. A free Fire Safety Toolkit provides risk assessments, evacuation plans, and extinguisher training documents to help you protect employees and premises. Get the free Fire Safety Toolkit

In London, inquests have opened for three victims of a June fire at a former community centre on the White City Estate, as police and safety officials continue to investigate the cause of that fatal event.

Disclaimer...

en | boerse | 69961334 |